Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hold onto the ones you love







Unfortunately it takes times of tragedy to remind us how precious and short life really is. A friend of mine is going through such a time in her life. I won't go into detail because it's really not my place. But I am reminded of the Year 2007 in my own family. I had 2 of my children in the hospital within months of each other. One because my body decided to go toxic on me and the pregnancy had to be terminated 6 weeks before he was due. Another was ran over by a pickup. These things aren't suppose to happen-at least not to me or my family. They happen to unknown people that live far away. This doesn't happen to regular people-right? I found out really quick that things like this do happen. They happen and there is nothing you can do about it. I know that trials are apart of this existence. I can handle my own trials. But to have my children-who are beyond precious to me-suffer, was almost unbearable. Watching them struggle was difficult to say the least. But it was a time that brought us together. Never had I prayed with such sincerity and conviction. It is hard to say "Thy will be done" and actually mean it. I now know, without a doubt, that there is a Father in Heaven who hears and answers prayers. I believe in guarding angels and miracles. My children wouldn't be here without them. I have a greater respect and appreciation for my husband who was my rock through this. I love him more then he probably realizes. I love my family even more. It's sad to say, but would I be so attached to them if these things didn't happen. There are days that I truly wonder. I also know that we were blessed in our time of need. Sometimes prayers are not answered in the way we want. I know, trust me on that! That is when faith comes in handy. The Lord knows what is best and he sees the whole big picture. We see only a portion. I guess my point is don't let it take times of tragedy to make you appreciate what you have in your own home. Don't ever take them for granted and never let them go.

3 comments:

The Bailey's said...

Holy Crap, steph, I didnt know about your daughter, that just makes me sick, WHAT happened??? I remember Streider being in the NICU, but poor Jo, that makes me so sad, you are so right and thank you for reminding me. I appreciate your testimony, it is posts like this that really help me each day, thanks again!

mariann and Tory said...

I remember that year! It is really hard to be so far away from family when tradgedy strikes! We too learned a lot about prayers and praying that his will be done but begging for a life to be spared! We all have our trials and they do make us stronger. They are just taking us through the refiners fire. This life is just a test. Only a test! Thank you for your testimony! Give your kids a big hug for us!

Melissa said...

It was our first day in the ward when we heard about Jo and realized the next day, it was also Holly's niece. I was so glad to hear shortly after that, that she was recovering great and back to her old self. But your right, these trials just make us stronger in the end. Thanks for sharing! :)